Balfour Beatty has been awarded a c.£43 million contract by Transport for London (TfL) to deliver essential upgrade works on the London Underground’s Piccadilly line.
This latest award marks the second contract to be awarded under the ‘London Underground High Voltage (HV) Power’ framework, to which Balfour Beatty was appointed last year.
Balfour Beatty will be responsible for the design, supply and installation of new assets at Hatton Cross and Hounslow substations including Transformer Rectifiers, High Voltage and Low Voltage Switchboards, Direct Current Switchboards and Auxiliary Transformers, and associated cable routes.
This work will support the increase in ‘Traction Power’ needed for the next generation of Piccadilly line trains and to deliver increased capacity along the route – improving the overall travel experience for thousands of commuters each day.
Mick Rayner, Managing Director of Balfour Beatty’s Rail business, said: “This latest contract award is testament to our long-standing relationship with Transport for London, having worked collaboratively with them for the last 20 years.
“We look forward to further supporting the upgrade and enhancement of the Piccadilly line helping to provide a smooth and reliable service for the travelling public across the city.”
Works are due to commence by the end of the year, with completion expected in 2026. At construction peak, the company will employ approximately 40 people, with 5% of its workforce made up of apprentices and graduates as part of its commitment to The 5% Club.
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty is a leading international infrastructure group with 25,000 employees driving the delivery of powerful new solutions, shaping thinking, creating skylines and inspiring a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
- We finance, develop, build, maintain and operate the increasingly complex and critical infrastructure that supports national economies and deliver projects at the heart of local communities.
- Over the last 114 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world. Currently, we are working to deliver Hinkley Point C, the first UK nuclear power station in a generation; constructing the world-class arts and cultural facility, the Lyric Theatre, in Hong Kong; and designing, building, financing, operating and maintaining the Automated People Mover superstructure at the fifth busiest airport in the world, Los Angeles International Airport.
- Balfour Beatty is one of the UK’s leading rail infrastructure suppliers. From feasibility studies, planning and design through to implementation and asset management, we provide multi-disciplinary rail infrastructure services across the lifecycle of rail assets. Our expertise covers electrification, track, power, civils, specialist rail plant, railway systems and technologies.
- Balfour Beatty also provides a comprehensive range of on-track machines for track geometry improvements and general track works. Our fleet of modern ‘Tampers’ consist of plain line machines and switches and crossing units. Along with our expert operators and support staff these machines ensure track quality for our customers.